Brenda Griffin, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM
Adjunct Associate Professor of Shelter Medicine
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Dr. Griffin is a 1990 graduate of the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine. After completing an internship at the MSPCA’s Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in 1991, she spent time working in general small animal practice as well as in animal shelters before pursuing a residency in small animal internal medicine at Auburn University.
For the past 15 years, Dr. Griffin has used her expertise in small animal internal medicine and her passion for shelter animals to assist in the development of training and research programs that support the field of Shelter Medicine. Her professional interests surround feline medicine, population health, behavioral wellness, and sterilization programs. She has published numerous articles and book chapters on these topics.
While a member of the faculty of the Scott Ritchey Research Center, Dr. Griffin co-founded the Alliance for Contraception in Cats and Dogs. She later served on the Association of Shelter Veterinarians’ Task Force to Advance Spay-Neuter, as well as the Shelter Standards Task Force. In 2000, she was named by the AVMA as the Bustad Companion Animal Veterinarian of the Year. She currently co-instructs courses in shelter medicine at both the University of Florida and the University of Georgia, and serves as the Regent for the new specialty in Shelter Medicine: ABVP- SMP.
She lives in South Carolina with her husband, a pack of dogs, clowder of cats, and a very cute pair of goats. In her spare time, she greatly enjoys playing with them all and is determined that one day she will train them better than they have trained her!
- MS, Biomedical Sciences, Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, 2001
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2000
- Residency, Small Animal Internal Medicine, Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, 1996-1999
- Residency, Small Animal Internal Medicine, Animal Medical Center, 1995-1996
- Internship, Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, Angell Memorial Animal Hospital 1990-1991
- DVM, University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine, 1990
- BS, Biology cum laude, University of South Carolina, 1986
- Meritorious Achievement Award, Association of Shelter Veterinarians, 2014
- Humanitarian of the Year, Chemung County Humane Society and SPCA, 2009
- Cornell University Special Recognition Award for Helping Others, CU Police, 2009
- Key Note Speaker, SPAY USA National Spay-Neuter Conference, 2008
- Founders Award, Alliance for Contraception in Cats & Dogs, Internat’l Symposium, 2008
- National Award for Excellence in Spay-Neuter Mentorship, PETsMART Charities, 2006
- Sid Sacerdote Award, Muscogee County Humane Society, 2005
- Service Award, Pre-Veterinary Medical Association, Auburn University, 2005
- Alex Lewyt Veterinary Medical Center Award of Achievement, North Shore Animal League, 2004
- Key Note Speaker, Luke and Lily Lerner Spay-Neuter Clinic, Tufts University, 2003
- Top Dog Service Award, Muscogee County Humane Society, 2003
- Bustad Companion Animal Veterinarian of the Year, AVMA, 2002
- People’s Choice Award, Phi Zeta Research Forum, Auburn University, 2002
- Friend of the Year, Lee County Humane Society, 2000
- Special Presidential Award, MSPCA, 1993
- Griffin B. Nonsurgical Sterilization. In: Miller L, Zawistowski (eds) Shelter medicine for veterinarians and staff, 2nd edition, Blackwell, Aimes, IA, 689-696, 2013.
- Griffin B. Care of the Cat in the Shelter. In: Miller L, Zawistowski (eds) Shelter medicine for veterinarians and staff, 2nd edition, Blackwell, Aimes, IA, 145-184, 2013.
- Griffin B. (2011) Population Wellness: Keeping Cats Physically and Behaviorally Healthy. In: Little SE (ed) The cat: clinical medicine and management, Elsevier, St. Louis, MO, 1312-1353.
- Griffin B. (2011) Care and Control of Community Cats. In: Little SE (ed) The cat: clinical medicine and management, Elsevier, St. Louis, MO, 1290-1309.
- Bushby, PA, Griffin, B. An Overview of Pediatric Spay and Neuter Benefits and Techniques, Veterinary Medicine, February 2011.
- DiGangi BA, Griffin B, Levy JK, et al. Use of a commercially available relaxin test for detection of pregnancy in cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2010; 237:1267-1274.
- Janeczko SJ, Griffin B. Diagnosis and Treatment of Giardia in Cats. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, E1-7, August 2010.
- Lord L, Griffin B, Levy JK, Slater M. Evaluation of collars and microchips for visual and permanent identification of pet cats. JAVMA, 2010 Aug 15;237(4):387-94.
- Lappin MR, Griffin B, J Brunt, et al. Prevalence of Bartonella spp., Mycoplasma spp., Ehrlichia spp., and Anaplasma phagocytophilum DNA in the blood of cats and their fleas in the United States. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 8 (2) 85-90, 2005.
- Griffin B, DiGangi B, Bohling M. A Review of Neutering Cats. In Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine VI, (JR August, ed.) 776-790, 2010.
- Griffin B. Hume KR. Recognition and Management of Stress in Housed Cats. (JR August, ed.) Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine V, 717-734, 2006.
- Griffin B. Feline Reproductive Hormones: Diagnostic Usefulness and Clinical Syndromes. (JR August, ed.) Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine V, 217-226, 2006.
- Griffin B, Baker HJ. Cats as Laboratory Animals in Lab Animal Medicine: (ed) Fox, Academic Press, San Diego, CA., pp 460-482, 2002.
- Griffin B. The Use of Fecal Markers to Facilitate Sample Collection in Group-Housed Domestic Cats, Contemporary Topics in Laboratory Animal Medicine, March, 2002.
- Griffin B. Prolific Cats: The Estrous Cycle, Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, 23(12) 1049-1055, 2001.
- Griffin B. Prolific Cats: The Impact of her Fertility on the Welfare of the Species, Cycle, Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, 23(12) 1058-1067, 2001.
- Griffin B. Feline Hepatic Lipidosis: Pathophysiology, Clinical Signs and Diagnosis, Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, August, 2000.
- Griffin B. Feline Hepatic Lipidosis: Treatment Recommendations, Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian September, 2000.