Catherine McManus, VMD, MPH, Diplomate ACVPM
Dr. McManus was one of the first veterinarians to complete Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Residency at the University of Florida’s College of Veterinary Medicine. Her interests include infectious disease prevention in animal shelter populations, animal flow through within a shelter environment, the health and safety of animal shelter workers and volunteers, and disaster response and management. Prior to becoming a shelter medicine resident, Dr. McManus was a veterinary epidemiologist with the Virginia Department of Health and a Veterinary Corp Officer on active duty with the US Army. Dr. McManus continues to serve as a veterinarian in the US Army reserves and is board certified with the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine.
- Maddie’s® Residency in Shelter Medicine, University of Florida, 2009-2012
- MPH, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 2006
- VMD, University of Pennsylvania, 2002
- BS, Biological Sciences, Binghamton University, 1998
- Virginia Public Service Week Governor’s Award Nominee 2008, 2009
- Top 40 Under 40, Style Weekly, 2008
- US Army Commendation Medal, 2005
- US Army Achievement Medal, 2003, 2004
- Above and Beyond Award, US Veterinary Corp, 2003
- Rishel/Searles Memorial Award, Binghamton University, 1998
- Susquenango Kennel Club Award, Binghamton University, 1998
- Rondeau, MP. Meltzer, K. Michel, KE. McManus, C. Washabau, RJ. Short chain fatty acids stimulate feline colonic smooth muscle contraction. J Feline Med Surg. 2003 Jun; 5 (3):167-73.
- C. McManus, K. Michel, D. Simon, RJ Washabau. Effect of short-chain fatty acids on contraction of smooth muscle in the canine colon. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 2002; Volume 63:295-300.
- C. McManus, K. Michel, D. Simon, RJ. Washabau. Post-natal development of cholinergic and substance P responses in feline colonic smooth muscle. Gastroenterology2000:118:A839.
- C. McManus, K. Michel, D. Simon, RJ. Washabau. Effects of short chain fatty acids on canine colonic smooth muscle. Gastroenterology 2000:118:A838.