Intensive training to help community cats

Published: May 24th, 2013

Surgical training with the nation’s leaders in High Quality High Volume Spay/Neuter

Thanks to the generous support of Petsmart Charities, veterinary students and veterinarians from across the country are invited to join Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program for a unique course this July:  Community Cat Management.

This week-long intensive course taught by instructors from Humane Alliance and the University of Florida will provide up-to-the-minute insights on the challenges and successes in humanely managing community cats.

The course includes lectures, discussions, and clinical laboratories for hands-on surgical training.

“My surgical skills greatly improved, did my fastest time ever! I also learned so much about working with the community and about statistics.”

With a focus on high-volume, high-quality surgery and care for free-roaming cats, you will explore the practical issues and social and economic considerations in community cat management. The course runs July 29-August 2, 2013 in Gainesville, Florida. Low-cost housing is available.

Learn more and register while space is still available!

“I got to practice my surgical skills, as well as practice in other areas such as monitoring during anesthesia, vaccinations, IV injections, prepping, and anesthesia.

I also learned significantly about the management of community cats and how we can help them and control population at the same time.”

What You Can Expect

• Gain an understanding of the impact of community cats on public health, the environment, and cat welfare

PetSmart Charities

Thank you to Petsmart Charities for making this course possible!

• Discuss medico-legal issues associated with community cat management in Florida.
  • Develop handling and surgical skills for both pediatric and adult cats undergoing spay and neuter surgery in a clinical environment
  • Develop competencies in safe and humane procedures for feral cat trapping, transportation, and housing
  • Develop competencies in feral cat anesthesia and monitoring, surgical site preparation, administration of injectable and topical medications
  • Develop competencies in high-quality, high-volume feline castration and ovariohysterectomy

“I can honestly say that this week absolutely exceeded my expectations.

The incredibly thorough, comprehensive notebook and articles/papers; information-packed lectures; daily busy surgery; one-on-one surgical skills training from excellent (and patient! Ha!) teachers; rotations through the TNR surgery day stations – thus opportunities to improve on my lacking tech skills; TNR trapping experience and team-building; and just extraordinarily friendly, helpful and welcoming students and faculty… all I can say is… WOW.

I learned a ton – through both the lecture material and the surgical rotations. I seriously learned something through every lecture and through every rotation.”