New Online Master’s Degree: Master of Science with Shelter Medicine Concentration
Online Master of Science in Veterinary Medical Sciences with a Concentration in Shelter Medicine begins Spring 2015.
Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program at UF’s College of Veterinary Medicine is excited to announce the launch of their new Online Master’s Degree! In this first-of-its-kind program, non-veterinarians will have access to the wealth of expertise and resources that the Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Graduate and Professional Certificates have become known for. The new Master’s Degree caters to the larger audiences of veterinary technicians, shelter administrators, and animal welfare professionals in addition to practicing veterinarians, veterinary students, residents, and interns.
In addition to the Graduate Certificate in Shelter Medicine, students in the Master of Science in Veterinary Medical Sciences with a Concentration in Shelter Medicine program will also have the opportunity to obtain a graduate certificate in Nonprofit Leadership, Veterinary Forensic Sciences, or Veterinary Public Health. The program focuses on the advanced knowledge required to successfully practice evidence-based medicine and/or manage operations in an animal shelter. While enrolled in this MS program, students will learn to:
- Prevent and manage infectious disease common to animal shelters.
- Conduct a veterinary forensic investigation.
- Prevent and modify behavior and welfare issues common to animal shelters.
- Assess shelter practices against ASV Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters.
- Review the scientific literature to determine whether shelter practices are evidence-based.
- Protect public health and safety due to dangerous animals and zoonotic diseases.
- Review adequacy of a business plan created for a nonprofit organization.
- Communicate effectively with shelter stakeholders about best-practices for shelter operations.
More information on the course of study is available through the course plan.
“As a current shelter administrative staff member who does not plan to become a veterinarian, I’ve been waiting for a program of this kind. I am excited to finally have an academic program tailored to my needs as I continue in my animal welfare career.”
– Chrissy Sedgley, planning to enroll for Summer 2015.
Click here to learn more about the Master of Science in Veterinary Medical Sciences with a Concentration in Shelter Medicine.
Make a donation to support this and other innovation in shelter medicine.
Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program is sponsored by Maddie’s Fund®