Do shelter animals have special nutritional needs? Absolutely!
Dr. Jason Gagné, DACVN, is a boarded veterinary nutritionist and Nestle-Purina’s Veterinary College Manager for the UF College of Veterinary Medicine. Last fall, he gave a presentation on “Optimizing Nutrition in the Shelter” to our students. Now, we’re making it available for anyone who wasn’t able to attend live. In the presentation, he covers:
- Why we should care about the specific nutritional needs of pets in shelter (undernourishment on intake, preexisting medical conditions, stress in shelter environment, etc.)
- How to perform a nutritional assessment in the shelter
- Formulating a nutritional plan
- Selecting appropriate diet options
- Transitioning to a new home