Brenda Griffin, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM
Adjunct Associate Professor of Shelter Medicine
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Dr. Griffin is a 1990 graduate of the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine. After completing an internship at the MSPCA’s Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in 1991, she spent time working in general small animal practice as well as in animal shelters before pursuing a residency in small animal internal medicine at Auburn University.
For the past 18 years, Dr. Griffin has used her expertise in small animal internal medicine and her passion for shelter animals to assist in the development of training and research programs that support the field of Shelter Medicine. Her professional interests surround feline medicine, population health and welfare, behavioral wellness, and sterilization programs. Currently, she serves as the course coordinator for the online UF veterinary student course in Shelter Animal Behavior and Welfare, as well as the chair of the Fear Free Shelters Task Force,
Throughout her career, Dr. Griffin has worked to support professional organizations related to Shelter Medicine. In 2000, she co-founded the Alliance for Contraception in Cats and Dogs, an organization dedicated to the development of humane and effective non-surgical means of controlling the reproduction of cats and dogs. Dr. Griffin spent many years serving on the Board of Directors of the Association of Shelter Veterinarians. She was a member of the organization’s Task Force to Advance Spay-Neuter, the Shelter Standards Task Force, and the Task Force to Develop a Recognized Veterinary Specialty in Shelter Medicine. She is co-author of ASV’s Veterinary Medical Care Guidelines for Spay-Neuter Programs and ASV’s Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters. Currently, she serves as the Regent for the new specialty in Shelter Medicine under the auspices of the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners.
- MS, Biomedical Sciences, Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, 2001
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2000
- Residency, Small Animal Internal Medicine, Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, 1996-1999
- Residency, Small Animal Internal Medicine, Animal Medical Center, 1995-1996
- Internship, Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, Angell Memorial Animal Hospital 1990-1991
- DVM, University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine, 1990
- BS, Biology cum laude, University of South Carolina, 1986
- Meritorious Achievement Award, Association of Shelter Veterinarians, 2014
- Humanitarian of the Year, Chemung County Humane Society and SPCA, 2009
- Cornell University Special Recognition Award for Helping Others, CU Police, 2009
- Key Note Speaker, SPAY USA National Spay-Neuter Conference, 2008
- Founders Award, Alliance for Contraception in Cats & Dogs, Internat’l Symposium, 2008
- National Award for Excellence in Spay-Neuter Mentorship, PETsMART Charities, 2006
- Sid Sacerdote Award, Muscogee County Humane Society, 2005
- Service Award, Pre-Veterinary Medical Association, Auburn University, 2005
- Alex Lewyt Veterinary Medical Center Award of Achievement, North Shore Animal League, 2004
- Key Note Speaker, Luke and Lily Lerner Spay-Neuter Clinic, Tufts University, 2003
- Top Dog Service Award, Muscogee County Humane Society, 2003
- Bustad Companion Animal Veterinarian of the Year, AVMA, 2002
- People’s Choice Award, Phi Zeta Research Forum, Auburn University, 2002
- Friend of the Year, Lee County Humane Society, 2000
- Special Presidential Award, MSPCA, 1993
- Krecic MR, DiGangi BA, Griffin B. Accuracy of a point-of-care luteinizing hormone test for help in distinguishing between sexually intact and ovariectomized or castrated domestic cats. JFMS, Nov. 1, 2017, 1-7.
- Griffin B. Nonsurgical Sterilization. In: Miller L, Zawistowski (eds) Shelter medicine for veterinarians and staff, 2nd edition, Blackwell, Aimes, IA, 689-696, 2013.
- Griffin B. Care of the Cat in the Shelter. In: Miller L, Zawistowski (eds) Shelter medicine for veterinarians and staff, 2nd edition, Blackwell, Aimes, IA, 145-184, 2013.
- Griffin B. (2011) Population Wellness: Keeping Cats Physically and Behaviorally Healthy. In: Little SE (ed) The cat: clinical medicine and management, Elsevier, St. Louis, MO, 1312-1353.
- Griffin B. (2011) Care and Control of Community Cats. In: Little SE (ed) The cat: clinical medicine and management, Elsevier, St. Louis, MO, 1290-1309.
- Bushby, PA, Griffin, B. An Overview of Pediatric Spay and Neuter Benefits and Techniques, Veterinary Medicine, February 2011.
- DiGangi BA, Griffin B, Levy JK, et al. Use of a commercially available relaxin test for detection of pregnancy in cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2010; 237:1267-1274.
- Janeczko SJ, Griffin B. Diagnosis and Treatment of Giardia in Cats. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, E1-7, August 2010.
- Lord L, Griffin B, Levy JK, Slater M. Evaluation of collars and microchips for visual and permanent identification of pet cats. JAVMA, 2010 Aug 15;237(4):387-94.
- Lappin MR, Griffin B, J Brunt, et al. Prevalence of Bartonella spp., Mycoplasma spp., Ehrlichia spp., and Anaplasma phagocytophilum DNA in the blood of cats and their fleas in the United States. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 8 (2) 85-90, 2005.
- Griffin B, DiGangi B, Bohling M. A Review of Neutering Cats. In Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine VI, (JR August, ed.) 776-790, 2010.
- Griffin B. Hume KR. Recognition and Management of Stress in Housed Cats. (JR August, ed.) Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine V, 717-734, 2006.
- Griffin B. Feline Reproductive Hormones: Diagnostic Usefulness and Clinical Syndromes. (JR August, ed.) Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine V, 217-226, 2006.
- Griffin B, Baker HJ. Cats as Laboratory Animals in Lab Animal Medicine: (ed) Fox, Academic Press, San Diego, CA., pp 460-482, 2002.
- Griffin B. The Use of Fecal Markers to Facilitate Sample Collection in Group-Housed Domestic Cats, Contemporary Topics in Laboratory Animal Medicine, March, 2002.
- Griffin B. Prolific Cats: The Estrous Cycle, Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, 23(12) 1049-1055, 2001.
- Griffin B. Prolific Cats: The Impact of her Fertility on the Welfare of the Species, Cycle, Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, 23(12) 1058-1067, 2001.
- Griffin B. Feline Hepatic Lipidosis: Pathophysiology, Clinical Signs and Diagnosis, Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, August, 2000.
- Griffin B. Feline Hepatic Lipidosis: Treatment Recommendations, Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian September, 2000.