Julie K. Levy, DVM, PhD, DACVIM, DABVP (Shelter Medicine Practice)
Maddie’s® Professor of Shelter Medicine
Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida
Dr. Julie Levy is a professor of shelter medicine at the University of Florida. She obtained her DVM for the University of California at Davis and her PhD at North Carolina State University. She completed a clinical internship at Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston, followed by a residency in small animal internal medicine at North Carolina State University, which culminated in board certification in the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. She served on the organizing committee for the new American Board of Veterinary Practitioners specialty in shelter medicine and became boarded in 2017.
Dr. Levy’s research and clinical interests center on the health and welfare of animals in shelters, feline infectious diseases, and humane alternatives for cat population control. She has performed long-term studies of contraceptive vaccines for cats, with a recent focus on GnRH as the contraceptive target. Dr. Levy co-founded Maddie’s Shelter Medicine Program at the College of Veterinary Medicine, an educational and discovery initiative with a global impact on the care of homeless animals. She is the founder of Operation Catnip, a nonprofit university-based community cat spay/neuter program that has sterilized more than 50,000 cats in Gainesville, Florida since 1998.
Dr. Levy has published more than 100 journal articles and textbook chapters, many focusing on community cat issues. In 2014, she joined Dr. Kate Hurley to launch the Million Cat Challenge, a shelter-based campaign to save a million cats in five years. She is the recipient of the Carl J. Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award, Outstanding Woman Veterinarian of the Year, the European Society of Feline Medicine Award, NCSU Distinguished Alumni Award, Association of Shelter Veterinarians Meritorious Service Award, Association of Shelter Veterinarians Meritorious Service Award, and the Avanzino Leadership Award.
- Residency, Small Animal Internal Medicine, North Carolina State University, 1993
- Internship, Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, 1990
- PhD, Immunology, North Carolina State University, 1996
- DVM, University of California-Davis, 1989
- BA, Journalism, San Jose State University, 1982
- Avanzino Leadership Award, 2017
- UF Research Foundation Professorship, 2017
- Association of Shelter Veterinarians Meritorious Service Award, 2016
- Distinguished Alumni Award, North Carolina State University, 2015
- Inducted, National Academies of Practice, 2014
- Florida Veterinary Medical Association Community Service Award, 2011
- European Society of Feline Medicine Award, 2007
- Commendation for Community Service, Alachua County Board of Commissioners, 2005
- Outstanding Woman Veterinarian of the Year, Association of Women Veterinarians, 2005
- Clinical Investigator Award, Florida Veterinary Medical Association, 2003
- Carl J. Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award, 2003
- Student Organization Advisor of the Year for the Student Chapter of the American Association of Feline Practitioners, University of Florida, 2002
- Superior Accomplishment Award for establishment of Operation Catnip, a large-scale spay-neuter clinic for feral cats at the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, 2000
- Levy JK, Bard KM, Tucker SJ, Diskant PD, Dingman PA. Perioperative mortality in cats and dogs undergoing spay or castration at a high-volume clinic. Vet J 2017;224:11-15.
- Burling AN, Levy JK, Scott HM, Crandall MM, Tucker SJ, Wood EG, Foster JD. Seroprevalences of feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus infection in cats in the United States and Canada and risk factors for seropositivity. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2017;25:187-194.
- Levy JK, Burling AN, Crandall MM, Tucker SJ, Wood EG, Foster JD. Seroprevalence of heartworm infection, risk factors for seropositivity, and frequency of prescribing heartworm preventives for cats in the United States and Canada. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2017;250;873-880.
- Cannon SH, Levy JK, Kirk SK, Crawford PC, Leutenegger CM, Shuster JJ. Infectious diseases in Dogs Rescued During Dogfighting Investigations. Vet J 2016 211:64-69.
- Olson KR, Levy JK, Norby B, Crandall MM, Broadhurst JE, Jacks S, Barton RC, Zimmerman MS. Inconsistent identification of pit bull-type dogs by shelter staff. Vet J 2015 206:197-202.
- Levy JK, Isaza NM, Scott KC. Effect of high-impact targeted trap-neuter-return and adoption of community cats on cat intake to a shelter. Vet J 2014;201:269-274.
- McManus CM, Levy JK, Andersen LA, McMorray SP, Leutenegger CM, Gray LK, Hilligas J, Tucker SJ. Prevalence of upper respiratory pathogens in four management models for unowned cats in the Southeast United States. Vet J 2014;201:196-201.
- Dingman PA, Levy JK, Rockey LE, Crandall MM. Use of visual and permanent identification for pets by veterinary clinics. Vet J 2014;201:46-50.
- Polak KC, Levy JK, Crawford PC, Leutenegger CM, Moriello KA. Infectious diseases in large-scale cat hoarding investigations. Vet J 2014;201:189-195.
- Wald DM, Jacobson SK, Levy JK. Outdoor cats: Identifying differences between stakeholder beliefs, perceived impacts, risk and management. Conservation Biol 2013:167:414-424.
- Scherk MA, Ford RB, Gaskell RM, Hartmann K, Hurley KF, Lappin MR, Levy JK, Little SE, Nordone SK, Sparkes AH. 2013 AAFP Feline Vaccination Advisory Panel Report. J Feline Med Surg 2013;15:785-808.
- Digangi BA, Levy JK, Griffin B, McGorray SP, Dubovi EJ, Dingman PA, Tucker SJ. Prevalence of serum antibody titers against feline panleukopenia virus, feline herpesvirus 1, and feline calicivirus in cats entering a Florida animal shelter. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:1320-1325.
- Tupler T, Levy JK, Sabshin SJ, Tucker SJ, Greiner EC, Leutenegger CM. Enteropathogens identified in dogs entering a Florida animal shelter with normal feces or diarrhea. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:338-343.
- Sabshin SJ, Levy JK, Tupler T, Tucker SJ, Greiner EC, Leutenegger CM. Enteropathogens identified in cats entering a Florida animal shelter with normal feces or diarrhea. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:331-337.
- Gray LK, Crawford PC, Levy JK, Dubovi EJ. Comparison of two assays for detection of antibodies against canine parvovirus and canine distemper virus in dogs admitted to a Florida animal shelter. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;240:1084-1087.
- Digangi BA, Levy JK, Griffin B, Reese MJ, Dingman PA, Tucker SJ, Dubovi EJ. Effects of maternally-derived antibodies on serologic responses to vaccination in kittens. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14:118-123.
- DiGangi BA, Gray LK, Levy JK, DuBovi EJ, Tucker SJ. Detection of protective antibody titers against feline panleukopenia virus, feline herpes virus-1, and feline calicivirus in shelter cats using a point-of-care ELISA. J Fel Med Surg 2011;13;912-918.
- Harrison KA, Robertson SA, Levy JK, Isaza N. Evaluation of metetomidine, ketamine, and buprenorphine for neutering feral cats. J Fel Med Surg 2011;13:896-902.
- Levy JK, Friary JA, Miller LA, Tucker SJ, Fagerstone KA. Long-term fertility control in female cats with GonaCon, a GnRH immunocontraceptive. Theriogenol 2011;76:15-17-1525.
- Levy JK. Contraceptive vaccines for the humane control of community cat populations. J Am Repro Immunol 2011;66:63-70.
- Dunn KF, Levy JK, Colby KN, Michaud R. Diagnostic, treatment, and prevention protocols for feline heartworm infection in animal sheltering agencies. J Parasitol 2011;176:342-349.
- Colby KN, Levy JK, Dunn KF, Michaud R. Diagnostic, treatment, and prevention protocols for canine heartworm infection in animal sheltering agencies. J Parasitol 2011;176:333-341.
- Levy JK, Lappin MR, Glaser AL, Birkenheuer AJ, Anderson TC, Edinboro CH. Prevalence of infectious diseases in cats and dogs rescued following Hurricane Katrina. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011;238;311-317.
- McIntyre RL, Levy JK, Roberts JF, Reep RL. Developmental uterine anomalies in cats and dogs undergoing elective ovariohysterectomy. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2010;237:542-546.
- Lechner ES, Crawford PC, Levy JK, Edinboro CH, Dubovi EJ, Caligiuri R. Prevalence of protective antibody titers for canine distemper virus and canine parvovirus in dogs entering a Florida animal shelter. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2010;236:1317-1321.