Rachel Michaud, BA, CAWA
Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program Coordinator
Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida
Ms. Michaud is a Certified Animal Welfare Administrator (CAWA) who joined Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program in 2008, its first year. Her background includes nonprofit shelter operations, management, and administration.
Ms. Michaud focuses on mission-based management and has directed the development of shelter programs including adoption, foster care, volunteer services, and low-cost spay and neuter. Her work at Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program includes planning, managing projects, coordinating events, and various communication and development activities. Ms. Michaud also serves as a consultation facilitator and shelter operations consultant. She is particularly interested in progressive, innovative, and replicable lifesaving programs.
- BA, Anthropology, University of Georgia
- Certificate in Grantwriting, Georgia Center for Continuing Education
- Certificate of Excellence in Nonprofit Leadership and Management, Georgia Center for Nonprofits
- Colby KN, Levy JK, Dunn KF, Michaud RI. Diagnostic, treatment, and prevention protocols for canine heartworm infection in animal sheltering agencies. Vet Parasitol. 2011 Mar 22;176(4):333-41.
- Dunn KF, Levy JK, Colby KN, Michaud RI. Diagnostic, treatment, and prevention protocols for feline heartworm infection in animal sheltering agencies. Vet Parasitol. 2011 Mar 22;176(4):342-9.
- Michaud, RI. (2003). Happy Habitats. In JL Morris & JL Buckman (Eds.), 101 More Great Shelter Ideas. ASPCA & American Humane.