Shelter Medicine Externships
Goals for Shelter Medicine Externships
Student externships described here are only available to students enrolled at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine. Non-UF DVM students are welcome to contact the shelters directly to inquire about externship opportunities.
- Understand the issues of animal homelessness, risk factors for relinquishment, and pet reunification
- Understand and apply the concepts of population management in shelters
- Apply concepts of quality of life and environmental enrichment in shelters
- Understand the principles of infection control, including surveillance, isolation, vaccination, cleaning and disinfection
- Develop skills in animal handling and examination
- Participate in shelter preventive health care protocols
- Perform medical and behavioral assessments
- Participate in cruelty and abuse evaluations as appropriate
Watch this video to see how much fun you’ll have with a shelter medicine externship!
Maddie’s® Award Program
Thanks to the generosity of Maddie’s Fund and The Coalition to Educate Alternatives to Senseless Euthanasia, a limited number of awards are available to students for select Shelter Medicine externship locations. Click here to learn more.
Visit the Host an Extern page to access the application for new agencies.